Class Diversity Statement
This Class Diversity Statement helps to set the tone for classes that can be difficult and controversial due to subject matter. Teaching Race & Racism and Perspectives on Gender means that there will be many different points of view and some may even be contentious. To help facilitate a safe and respectful learning environment the Diversity Statement is included in the Syllabus and on Blackboard. This statement is reviewed together as a class to promote understanding and mutual consideration.
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 1: Course Overview and Introduction
- Objective: 1.1 Instructor uses course environment to provide clear and detailed instructions for students to begin accessing all course components, such as syllabus, course calendar, assignments, and support files
- Objective: 1.4 Course etiquette expectations for various forms of course communication and dialog (e.g., chat, “hangout,” email, online discussion) are presented and clear to the student.
QLT Section 4: Student Interaction and Community
- Objective: 4.2 Instructor provides information about being a successful learner/student.
- Objective: 4.6 Instructor clearly explains his or her role regarding participation in the course. Instructor participates in, facilitates, and manages student participation, yet lets students take reasonable ownership.
- Objective: 4.7 Course learning activities help students understand fundamental concepts, and build skills useful outside of course.
- Material Type: Diversity Statement
- Author : Charlene Eaton, Instructor
- Institution: California State University, San Bernardino
- Date Created: 2021-03-19
- Course Format: Hybrid / Blended
- LMS: Blackboard
QM Standard Equivalents
- QM General Standard 1: Course Overview and Introduction
- Standard: 1.1 Instructions make clear how to get started and where to find various course components.
- Standard: 1.3 Communication expectations for online discussions, email, and other forms of interaction are clearly stated.
- QM General Standard 5: Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard: 5.3 The instructor’s plan for interacting with learners during the course is clearly stated.