Class Diversity Statement
This Class Diversity Statement helps to set the tone for classes that can be difficult and controversial due to subject matter. This statement clarifies the role of both student and instructor in terms of verbal exchanges/discussions in the classroom. It also promotes proper communication etiquette, tolerance and understanding, and respect for each other. The skills learned from this activity are used beyond the classroom, helping to create a more accepting and tolerant society. This statement is reviewed together as a class to promote understanding and mutual consideration.
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 1: Course Overview and Introduction
- Objective: 1.1 Instructor uses course environment to provide clear and detailed instructions for students to begin accessing all course components, such as syllabus, course calendar, assignments, and support files
- Objective: 1.4 Course etiquette expectations for various forms of course communication and dialog (e.g., chat, “hangout,” email, online discussion) are presented and clear to the student.
QLT Section 4: Student Interaction and Community
- Objective: 4.2 Instructor provides information about being a successful learner/student.
- Objective: 4.6 Instructor clearly explains his or her role regarding participation in the course. Instructor participates in, facilitates, and manages student participation, yet lets students take reasonable ownership.
- Objective: 4.7 Course learning activities help students understand fundamental concepts, and build skills useful outside of course.
- Material Type: Diversity Statement
- Author : Charlene Eaton, Instructor
- Institution: California State University, San Bernardino
- Date Created: 2021-03-19
- Course Format: Hybrid / Blended
- LMS: Blackboard
QM Standard Equivalents
- QM General Standard 1: Course Overview and Introduction
- Standard: 1.1 Instructions make clear how to get started and where to find various course components.
- Standard: 1.3 Communication expectations for online discussions, email, and other forms of interaction are clearly stated.
- QM General Standard 5: Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard: 5.3 The instructor’s plan for interacting with learners during the course is clearly stated.