Online & Hybrid Course Trainings and Certifications
CSU Online Course Services (CSU-OCS) supports CSU faculty and staff who are designing and delivering quality online and hybrid courses. In a commitment to academic quality and integrity, CSU-OCS complements campus efforts by providing funding, resources, training, and course certifications. As campuses offer more online and hybrid courses, CSU-OCS helps to 1) define quality online teaching and learning, 2) determine how to assess it, and 3) make desired improvements.
CSU Online Course Services has adopted two rubrics to support campus efforts and faculty in developing online and blended courses: CSU Quality Learning & Teaching (QLT) and Quality Matters (QM). We provide free training each term (fall, spring, summer) for CSU faculty and staff using certified CSU QLT & QM facilitators. Additionally, CSU-OCS conducts and manages formal course review certifications using a 3-team approach that analyze courses from a student perspective and provide feedback for course improvement.
CSU-OCS leads monthly professional learning communities with Quality Assurance Administrators and/or Faculty Leads, instructional designers, and the Student Quality Assurance Impact Research (SQuAIR) group who collects, analyzes and disseminates research to determine the impact of Quality Assurance training and course certification on teaching performance and student success.
- Provide online students with access to equal-or-better quality instruction as compared to face-to-face courses, improving student academic success and timely progress to graduation.
- Promote effective pedagogical and technological solutions to expand student engagement and active learning in online courses.
- Determine the impact of QA professional development and course certification on teaching performance and student success in CSU online and blended courses.
- Apply principles of Universal Design for Learning, accessibility, and equity in online courses toward greater success of all students, including those with disabilities.
- Use student achievement of learning outcomes as components of the metrics on quality online education.
- Promote academic integrity of student performance to maintain rigor while minimizing cheating and plagiarism.
- Provide campus support for faculty efforts to design and deliver quality online courses through professional development and course certifications.
- Widely disseminate techniques, experiences and outcomes from the various campus projects across the CSU through effective communications between campuses and the Chancellor’s Office.
- Create a network of faculty, staff, and administrators informed of the various quality assurance factors, tools, and resources that enable effective online teaching and learning.