Active Learning Through a Team Project
Dr. Wu Lin, an Instructor at Cal Poly Pomona, designed a team project in an asynchronous online class to improve active learning. The project is chunked into weekly tasks and due at the end of the semester to facilitate and support active learning with frequent peer to peer engagement. in addition to helping students reinforce what they learned in class, the project also helps students develop various skills, including collaboration skills which will help them be successful beyond the class.
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 4: Student Interaction and Community
- Objective: 4.4 Learning activities facilitate and support active learning that encourages frequent and ongoing peer–to–peer engagement.
QLT Section 5: Facilitation and Instruction
- Objective: 5.2 The instructor clearly helps students make connections between the content and the course activities, and how their life experience and mastery of concepts gained in the course will integrate into their college degree, future career, and role as a global citizen.
- Objective: 5.4 The instructor empowers students with choices to encourage the exploration of new concepts and new perspectives through the course experience.
QLT Section 6: Technology for Teaching and Learning
- Objective: 6.2 Technological tools and resources used in the course enable student engagement and active learning.
- Material Type: Assignment
- Author: Lin Wu , Instructor
- Institution: California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Date Created: 2021-06-27
- Course Format: Online
QM Standard Equivalents
- QM General Standard 5: Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard: 5.2 Learning activities provide opportunities for interaction that support active learning.
- QM General Standard 6: Course Technology
- Standard: 6.3 A variety of technology is used in the course.