Lizhu Davis, an Instructor at Fresno State, created an assignment which includes; 1) the purpose and learning objectives of the assignment, 2) streamlined the guideline to give students a clearer instruction, and 3) a well developed grading rubric. Students are also given choice around how they want to approach the assignment.
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 2: Assessment of Student Learning
- Objective: 2.3 The learning activities (including the assignments and ungraded activities) must align to the course or module SLOs and promote or reference the specific SLO to be achieved.
- Objective: 2.4 The assessment instruments (e.g., rubrics, grading sheets) are detailed and appropriate to the student work and respective outcomes being assessed. This includes assessing modes of online participation and contributions.
QLT Section 5: Facilitation and Instruction
- Objective: 5.4 The instructor empowers students with choices to encourage the exploration of new concepts and new perspectives through the course experience.
- Material Type: Assignment
- Author: Lizhu Davis
- Institution: California State University, Fresno
- Date Created: 2021-07-15
- Course Format: Hybrid / Blended
QM Standard Equivalents
- QM General Standard 2: Learning Objectives (Competencies)
- Standard: 2.4 The relationship between learning objectives, learning activities, and assessments is made clear.
- QM General Standard 3: Assessment and Measurement
- Standard: 3.1 The assessments measure the achievement of the stated learning objectives.
- Standard: 3.3 Specific and descriptive criteria are provided for the evaluation of learners’ work, and their connection to the course grading policy is clearly explained.
- Standard: 3.4 The course includes multiple types of assessments that are sequenced and suited to the level of the course.
- QM General Standard 5: Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard: 5.1 The learning activities help learners achieve the stated objectives.