Lab Assignment Connecting Students to Their Community
Weimin Li, a Faculty Developer from Pomona, developed a module lab assignment. This lab assignment includes includes an activity with students exploring the hardware and software that they will use in a GIS lab. The activity has students using a database from LA county to apply mapping skills.
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 2: Assessment of Student Learning
- Objective: 2.3 The learning activities (including the assignments and ungraded activities) must align to the course or module SLOs and promote or reference the specific SLO to be achieved.
- Objective: 2.4 The assessment instruments (e.g., rubrics, grading sheets) are detailed and appropriate to the student work and respective outcomes being assessed. This includes assessing modes of online participation and contributions.
QLT Section 5: Facilitation and Instruction
- Objective: 5.4 The instructor empowers students with choices to encourage the exploration of new concepts and new perspectives through the course experience.
- Objective: 5.9 The course resources, student tasks, activities, assessments, and instructional strategies build upon students’ individual strengths and assets as it pertains to their cultural and linguistic backgrounds and funds of knowledge.
- Material Type: Assignment
- Author: Weimin Li, Faculty Developer
- Institution: California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Date Created: 2021-07-25
- Course Format: Online
- LMS: Canvas
QM Standard Equivalents
- QM General Standard 2: Learning Objectives (Competencies)
- Standard: 2.4 The relationship between learning objectives or competencies and learning activities is clearly stated.
- QM General Standard 3: Assessment and Measurement
- Standard: 3.1 The assessments measure the achievement of the stated learning objectives or competencies.
- Standard: 3.3 Specific and descriptive criteria are provided for the evaluation of learners’ work, and their connection to the course grading policy is clearly explained.
- Standard: 3.4 The assessments used are sequenced, varied, and suited to the level of the course.
- QM General Standard 5: Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard: 5.1 The learning activities promote the achievement of the stated learning objectives or competencies.