Wellness Check Discussion
Kathaleen Valdez an Instructor from Fresno State uses a brief weekly discussion to help facilitate a line of communication between the student and the instructor by providing a way for students to check-in. The discussion encourages them to let the instructor know how they are doing in regards to the class or just life. It helps them know that there is someone else out there that has their back and is concerned about how they are doing and lets the instructor know if there is a need to contact the student for additional assistance. In addition, the discussion can be used as a way to monitor student participation.
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 4: Student Interaction and Community
- Objective: 4.6 Instructor clearly explains their role regarding participation in the course. Instructor participates, facilitates student participation, and encourages students to take ownership and promote different points of view.
- Material Type: Discussion
- Author: Kathaleen Valdez, Instructor
- Institution: California State University, Fresno
- Date Created: 2021-07-26
- Course Format: Online
- LMS: Canvas
QM Standard Equivalents
- QM General Standard 5: Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard: 5.3 The instructor’s plan for interacting with learners during the course is clearly stated.