This is an example to show how Fresno State Professor, Dr. Kate Kafonek simulates an experience in her class where students practice interviewing each other to develop empathetic listening skills through the lens of white privilege. Media is used and students are practicing developing empathetic listening skills as they reflect on reading a chapter in a Criminology class. Question prompts could be modified across disciplines and used to invite students to talk about different perspectives (e.g., discussion forum, synchronous Zoom break-out rooms).
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 5: Facilitation and Instruction
- Objective: 5.1 The instructor is helpful in normalizing a culturally responsive and sustainable and/or critical lens on course topics, respecting culturally diverse expressions while addressing microaggressions or disrespectful comments.
- Material Type: Assignment
- Author: Kate Kafonek, Instructor
- Institution: California State University, Fresno
- Date Created: 2022-12-01
- Course Format: Hybrid / Blended