Using VoiceThread to an Create Effective and Creative Assignment
Diana Lenko, Instructor from California State University, Channel Islands, used VoiceThread to create an assignment that encouraged peer-to-peer learning and enabled students to participate and collaborate using one of five powerful commenting options: microphone, webcam, text, phone, and audio-file upload, and do it at their own pace. The collaboration tool is also fully integrated into Canvas, so students and instructors don't have to log in to the platform separately. By watching videos of exemplary speakers and exploring the key leadership concepts in action, students gained insights into the communication strategies and leadership attributes essential to effective leaders.
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 3: Instructional Materials and Resources
- Objective: 3.5 There is a variety of instructional material types that lead to more UDL/access and student engagement, while not overly relying on one content type such as text.
QLT Section 4: Student Interaction and Community
- Objective: 4.4 Learning activities facilitate and support active learning that encourages frequent and ongoing peer–to–peer engagement.
QLT Section 5: Facilitation and Instruction
- Objective: 5.2 The instructor clearly helps students make connections between the content and the course activities, and how their life experience and mastery of concepts gained in the course will integrate into their college degree, future career, and role as a global citizen.
- Material Type: Assignment
- Author: Diana Lenko, Instructor
- Institution: California State University, Channel Islands
- Date Created: 2023-03-28
QM Standard Equivalents
- QM General Standard 4: Instructional Materials
- Standard: 4.5 A variety of instructional materials is used in the course.
- QM General Standard 5: Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard: 5.2 Learning activities provide opportunities for interaction that support active learning.