Enhance Student Engagement and Interaction in Group Assignments in STEM
Haiyan Qiao, an Instructor at CSU San Bernardino, utilized slides to develop a guided group assignment discussion for an asynchronous online course. This can be used as a reference/template for structured group discussions to promote student interaction and facilitate collaborative problem-solving in a group assignment.
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 3: Instructional Materials and Resources
- Objective: 3.5 There is a variety of instructional material types that lead to more UDL/access and student engagement, while not overly relying on one content type such as text.
QLT Section 4: Student Interaction and Community
- Objective: 4.6 Instructor clearly explains their role regarding participation in the course. Instructor participates, facilitates student participation, and encourages students to take ownership and promote different points of view.
QLT Section 5: Facilitation and Instruction
- Objective: 5.3 The instructor presents the course material and concepts in an orderly, effective, and engaging manner.
- Material Type: Assignment
- Author: Haiyan Qiao , Instructor
- Institution: California State University, San Bernardino
- Date Created: 2023-07-18
QM Standard Equivalents
- QM General Standard 4: Instructional Materials
- Standard: 4.5 A variety of instructional materials is used in the course.
- QM General Standard 5: Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard: 5.3 The instructor’s plan for regular interaction with learners in substantive ways during the course is clearly stated.