Jamboard for Online Office Hour
Neal MacDougall, an Instructor at Cal Poly SLO, found that students often come to online office hours to review methods covered as a team in a Google Doc-based guided inquiry exercise. During the office hour, concepts are reviewed but not practiced. The use of Jamboard during the office hour recreates some of the key parts of the guided inquiry exercise and allows students to work on the same Jamboard so that office hours become more dynamic and get closer to the feel of a “face-to-face” environment.
QLT Objectives Met
QLT Section 4: Student Interaction and Community
- Objective: 4.4 Learning activities facilitate and support active learning that encourages frequent and ongoing peer–to–peer engagement.
QLT Section 6: Technology for Teaching and Learning
- Objective: 6.2 Technological tools and resources used in the course enable student engagement and active learning.
- Material Type: Jamboard
- Author: Neal MacDougall, Instructor
- Institution: California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Date Created: 2021-02-15
- Course Format: Online, Hybrid / Blended
- LMS: Canvas
QM Standard Equivalents
- QM General Standard 5: Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard: 5.2 Learning activities provide opportunities for interaction that support active learning.
- QM General Standard 6: Course Technology
- Standard: 6.3 A variety of technology is used in the course.